Being a slow reader is frustrating! It stinks to have to spend so much more time than your peers just to read through and remember the same amount of information! While we can’t make your child a speed reader over night, Fireborn does have 4 tips to help make reading go a bit faster and to help your child remember more of that information.
CHECK OUT THE EPISODE BELOW:
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL HEAR ABOUT…
What used to happen to me: As I would look over the huge amount of reading for the night, literally just staring at the number of pages in the book, I was stressed. And that stressed, totally overwhelmed feeling did not make me want to just dive on in and get started. It made me want to hide from my homework.
Tips for reading a book from an executive functions coach:
- Focus on one chapter at a time.
- Go through the chapter once by reading all of the titles, headlines, and bold words, skipping everything else.
- Even if read quickly, the brain is now ready for the information. It is subconsciously working to help organize the information.
- After the initial run through, do the normal read through.
- Skip the pictures and anecdotes on the side, especially when in a rush.
- These are rarely tested on.
- Some people need those extras to make the reading interesting or at least bearable, but if the option is skip it or to not get through all of the reading, get through all of the reading.
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?
I would love to hear your thoughts on this episode and how you handle your children’s slow reading comprehension?
HERE’S HOW TO SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW
Want to be the first to know when a new episode is released? Click here to subscribe to The Happy Student on iTunes!
Podcast reviews are important to iTunes and the more reviews we can receive, the more likely we will be able to get our podcast and important messages in front of more parents! I would greatly appreciate if you clicked here and left a review letting me know your thoughts on this episode!