Our kids do as we do. And what we want for them is to be happy and fulfilled. So, if they’re going to be like us, we need to be happy and fulfilled so they can be. Easier said than done. Fireborn’s got 7 tips that intertwine so you can do multiple at a time for maximum happiness efficiency, so that your kids can learn how to be just like you.
CHECK OUT THE EPISODE BELOW:
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL HEAR ABOUT…
- Give yourself some quiet time.
- Take time to meditate, to reflect on the day, and to daydream, and maybe to practice some yoga.
- You can specifically set aside time for quiet time in a specific place and your kids know they are not to bother you while you are there (or they can quietly join you in your quiet time).
- Put on some classical music that is a cue to your kids that it is your reflection time. If your kids interrupt or ask, definitely tell them what you are doing and why. They will start to interrupt you less and less and they may even start to join you.
- Put the phone and social media away.
- The real problem is “reverse FOMO”. You’re not missing out on anything online. But by always being online you’re missing out on life.
- So stop the scrolling and live in the real world more often.
- This gives more time for that quiet reflection.
- Spend more time having conversations with people (in person if possible).
- Use phones to make plans to hang out with people, but avoid using it to catch up. If you can’t meet up in person, a phone call is way better than texting.
- That personal connection is so much more powerful and healthy and joy-producing than seeing life updates on Instagram.
- Give and get a lot of hugs (with consent obviously).
- As Eric Barker puts it, “Hugs make you happier.”
- Make plans and do stuff together with your friends.
- Don’t just talk with your friends, do stuff together! Learn a new activity together!
- Eric says, “Someone else is not doing cooler things than you because they have “more time”. It’s because they have different priorities.”
- Have a hobby and make sure your leisure time is high quality.
- Hobbies are things we are passionate about. Things we like to do, skills we like to learn, and challenges we like to overcome.
- Remember to focus on your values.
- People are prioritizing doing cool stuff because that is what they value.
- We don’t even think about how to spend our free moments. Somehow it just happened that every time we have a second, we check our phone. So you have to figure out what you value and remind yourself of those values to get motivated to not check and scroll forever and to do that cool stuff instead. You have to be intentional with your time.
Barker, E. (2019) This is the most powerful way to make your life fantastic. Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?
I would love to hear your thoughts on this episode! Comment below or send us an email!
HERE’S HOW TO SUBSCRIBE & REVIEW
Want to be the first to know when a new episode is released? Click here to subscribe to The Happy Student on iTunes!
Podcast reviews are important to iTunes and the more reviews we can receive, the more likely we will be able to get our podcast and important messages in front of more parents! I would greatly appreciate if you clicked here and left a review letting me know your thoughts on this episode!